This has got to be one of my favourite all-time meals and it's extremely easy to make. It's perfect for that cold winter night or a lazy night. It takes about 10 minutes prep time and 20 minutes cooking time. Take that Jamie Oliver!!!
20-min One-Pot Chinese Steamed Chicken & Rice with Shiitake Mushroom & Ginger
(serves 3, 2 if you're very hungry)
1 package of Skinless Chicken Thigh Fillets (about 475g)
1 package of fresh Shiitake Mushroom (about 125g)
1" x 1/2" ginger thinly julienned
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Light Soy
1/2 tsp Salt (can add more after to taste)
1/4 tsp Chicken Stock Powder (extra chicken flavour)
1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
300 ml Jasmine Rice (with dry deciliter measuring cup)
- Cut chicken into 1/2" to 1" pieces put in a large bowl.
- Remove stem from mushroom, julienne, put into chicken bowl.
- Add seasoning (julienned ginger, white pepper, sugar, light soy, sesame oil, salt, chicken stock powder) into the chicken bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick saucepan, add rice & 500-550 ml (same measuring cup) of water into the pan. Cover, boil on medium-high heat until water becomes bubbly (boiling).
- Turn heat to low, add chicken mixture covering every inch of pan. Put lid on and let it simmer for about 15-20 mins.
- Check in with chicken rice at about 10min mark to see if it's cook through.
- Turn off heat. Stir. Serve. Done.
- I recommend using skinless chicken thigh fillets for this dish because breast is much tougher when steamed.
- If no fresh Shiitake Mushroom is available, you can use dried, but rehydrate with hot water.
- If you want to add some vegetable to the meal, please do, bok choi or Chinese cabbage will be great addition. You would like to add this 5 minutes to the pot before serving.